Frequently asked questions
How to obtain NemID, exchange foreign driving license or open a bank account? Questions are many when arriving in Denmark.
09. Apr 2021
Frequently asked questions
The Citizen Service Centre often answer questions related to NemID and exchanging a foreign driving license. Lifeindenmark.dk answers many questions - especially the guide New in Denmark answers many relevant questions before arriving, when arriving and when leaving. You find a link to the guide on this page.
Exchange a foreign driving license
Where to exchange a foreign driving license
You exchange a foreign driving license at the Citizen Service Centre by pre-booking an appointment and bringing relevant documentation.
Which rules apply?
The rules regarding exchange of foreign driving licenses depend (among other things) on the country/constituent state which has originally issued the driving license.
Visit the Danish Road Traffic Authority website to find out:
- Whether and/or when you need to exchange your driving license
- Which documents to bring
How to exchange your driving license?
You pre-book an appointment to visit the Citizen Service Centre. Please bring:
- Your driving license
- Relevant documentation (Depends on where the driving license has been issued. The application for exchange of foreign driving license can only be accepted with presentation of relevant documentation. Please visit the Danish Road Traffic Authority before your visit to see which rules apply to you.)
The case processing time varies according to where your current driving license has been issued. Whether you need to take a controlling driving test also depends on where your current driving license has been issued.
The Citizen Service Centre staff will provide all relevant information during your appointment.
When in doubt of which rules apply to you, please contact the Citizen Service Centre at +45 9960 4000.
NemID – for online self-service
You can obtain your NemID at the Citizen Service Centre by pre-booking an appointment and bringing relevant documents. For instant issuance of NemID, you must also bring a witness.
- Photo ID (e.g. passport, residence permit with picture or EU/EAA driver’s license and ONE of the following
- Health insurance card (the yellow card) OR
- Your latest annual statement or preliminary income statement from SKAT
When in doubt of which documents to bring, please contact the Citizen Service Centre at +45 9960 4000.
Instant issuance of NemID
You can get your NemID immediately when bringing the above-mentioned documents AND a witness to the Citizen Service Centre.
The witness must fulfil the following requirements:
- Is of legal age/at least 18 years old
- Brings required documents (see above)
- Has had a NemID for at least 30 days
- Has been registrered as a witness for 3 or less times during the last 120 days
The NemID can be sent to your registered home address, in case you do not bring a witness.
NemID is a Danish common secure login on the Internet. You use NemID for:
- doing your online banking
- finding out information from the public authorities, or
- engaging with one of the many businesses that use NemID.
Open a bank account and NemKonto
Please contact the Citizen Service Centre or Newcomer Service if you have unanswered questions. Answers will be shared on this page. Thank you.
Opening hours and appointment booking
All visits to Citizen Service Centre in Ikast-Brande Municipality require a pre-booked appointment.
Are you new in Denmark? The website lifeindenmark.dk gives a good overview: Before moving, when you arrive, living in and if leaving.